More spare cash is a welcome happiness boost
How much ‘spare’ cash do we really have (left over after taking care of household outgoings and living costs), and how does this cash actually affect our happiness?
That’s what our Cash Happy report set out to uncover and the answer could put a smile on your face…
While UK household income has only increased a little since last year, the amount of spare cash in our pockets has gone up by almost a quarter. That’s at an extra £20 per household every week – a welcome boost to our happiness levels!
So how could you spend your spare £20 a week?
Would you spend it or put it to work for you? Why not do a bit of both, like this…
Week 1 – Put it into a ‘just in case’ fund to help with unexpected expenses
Week 2 - Save for the future
Week 3 – Pay a life insurance premium to protect the family if the worst happened
Final week of the month – Splurge it on a 100% guilt free treat!
Or what would you spend it on to boost your feel-good factor?
Here are 20 suggestions to inspire you
Why not share yours?
- Buy yourself a big bunch of flowers
- Donate a food parcel to a food bank and support people across the UK living in poverty
- Spoil someone special with an unexpected gift, just because…
- Buy something you really want but can never justify… like a Star Wars USB stick or a lava lamp…
- Eat 1155 Smarties – that’s 33 tubes-worth
- Tackle the heights of a climbing wall
- Send 1000 texts with a pay as you go deal
- Cheer up your garden or a window sill with some new plants
- Carry out a few random acts of kindness - pay someone’s parking, buy a stranger a coffee, give sandwiches out to the homeless
- Buy a pot and plant some herbs in your kitchen
- Sponsor a friend’s charitable endeavours
- Make a picnic for a day out with the family
- Adopt a dinosaur for a year and support the Natural History Museum. Perfect for small prehistorians everywhere
- Buy doughnuts or some other yummy treats to share with your workmates
- Take a trip to the cinema and munch on a vat of popcorn
- Enjoy fish and chips for 4… ideally by the sea
- Sign up for a charity race
- Buy a toilet – Support Oxfam’s Water for all project and help prevent the spread of disease in impoverished communities around the world
- Go bowling and get competitive
- Hire a fancy dress costume and run through the streets dressed as Batman…
Never forget to have fun
There are plenty of sensible things to do with a £20 like savings and life insurance insurance but sometimes it really is best to just do something for the sheer fun of it. It’ll cheer you up no end. And the best thing about an extra £20 spare cash a week? There’s no excuse not to do a bit of both.