• Critical Illness cover

    Straightforward protection that pays out if you're diagnosed with a critical illness.


    Find out more Get a quote
  • Our Critical Illness cover

    Put simply, if you've included Critical Illness cover with your Family Life Insurance, we pay out 25% of your life cover if you have a heart attack or stroke, or are diagnosed with a specified cancer during your cover term. This can help you and your family cope with the financial impact of a serious illness.

    Check out our useful article explaining critical illness insurance.

    Life can be complicated. Critical Illness cover needn't be.

    red and blue hand shaking

    You might need time off work to recuperate. Or you may need extra funds for medical treatment or childcare - or because there's a family treat you'd like to fund. Life insurance with critical illness cover can help take the financial strain away from an already difficult time.

    Critical Illness cover - in practice

    See how critical illness insurance can make a difference

    Mike and Julie

    A busy working mum with three young boys, Julie was forever on the go, and a bit 'time-poor' for thinking about finances and the future.

    But she did believe life insurance was a good idea. And, for extra peace of mind, she decided to add critical illness cover to her policy.

    A few years later, Julie was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a big shock for the whole family, but her critical illness cover made a big difference - paying out £100,000 of her £400,000 life cover straight away. It helped pay the mortgage while she couldn't work, and for a child-minder to help with school runs when Julie needed surgery - as well as the holiday of a lifetime for them all after treatment was finished.

    ^This story is for illustrative purposes only to demonstrate how Family Life Insurance could benefit you.

    The key facts

    Family Life Insurance pays out 25% of your life cover early if you're diagnosed with one of the specified critical illnesses - leaving the rest of your life cover in place if the worst happens.

    To see exactly which diagnoses trigger a Critical Illness cover payout, see the
    Key Features and Terms and Conditions.

    How Critical Illness cover could pay out

    Critical Illness cover pays out 25% of your life insurance cash sum if you suffer a heart attack or stroke, or are diagnosed with a specified cancer.

    Then if you die during the rest of the policy term, your family receives the remaining 75%.


    Consider joint cover

    You can also arrange joint Family Life Insurance with Critical Illness cover. This means 25% of the cash sum is paid out if either of you is diagnosed with a specified illness during the term. Then, if either of you dies during the rest of the term, we pay out the remaining 75% on the first claim.