Why choose SunLife to help arrange your Will?
every step of the way
By phone or post
no need to visit a solicitor
Free will storage
to keep it safe and secure
we explain the legalese
How does the will writing service work?
First a friendly chat with Hugh James will help you decide which will is right for you.
Here’s what will happen once you’ve decided
- Your call with Hugh James can take place at any time that suits you — Monday–Friday, between 9am and 5pm
- If you're making a joint will, Hugh James can arrange to speak to you both on the same call, even if you're in different locations. Just let them know when you make your appointment
- Hugh James can store your will safely, for free. If you want to keep important documents in one place, we can also store your deeds together with your will
Why make a will?
A will is your way of letting everyone know what should happen to your money, property and possessions after you die (together they’re called your 'estate'). It gives your loved ones a bit of extra security at a sensitive time.
What kind of will do I need?
- Single will — one will for one person
- Mirror wills — two wills, usually for a couple or people with shared assets or loved ones
- Wills, including a trust — a trust is an arrangement where some or all of your assets aren't inherited immediately but are held back until a time or circumstance that you have requested in your will
- Single codicil — this is a document that can be used to make minor changes to an existing will
- Mirror codicils — these are two documents that can be used to make minor changes to existing mirror wills
Who are Hugh James?
Hugh James is one of the UK's leading law firms*. They understand how much our customers matter to us - and they know wills inside out.
They'll talk about your will in your language and guide you every step of the way. They'll ensure your will is exactly how you want it. And, if you have any questions along the way, you can call them as many times as you like to talk things through. Through them, we offer a personalised, one-to-one legal service without the need to go to a solicitor's office.
* Source: Chambers & Partners
Why choose this will writing service?
This is the expert support you need, at a great price. We want you to have confidence and certainty for the future, and Hugh James will help you create the will you want. You can call as often as you like (without paying more) so if you have any questions, just ask.
Why choose SunLife?
We keep things nice and simple — bringing you the financial products and services that make your world better.
And we know it's vital to team up with the right people — like Hugh James. We've done the hard work (finding the lawyers to write your will) so you don't have to.
It all begins with a quick phone call to our expert legal partners. They'll get to know you and your needs and send you an information pack in the post. If you choose to go through your will on the phone, they'll arrange to call you about a week later at a time that suits you.
If you're making a joint will with a loved one (what we call a 'Mirror will') and can't be in the same place at the same time, you can arrange to speak together on the same call even if you're in different locations. Just let Hugh James know when you book your appointment.
If you choose to fill in a will drafting form, all you need to do is fill in each section and send it back in the envelope provided. You can always call with any questions or send the form back with what you've written and finish the rest of it over the phone. Hugh James will do the rest - it's that simple.
Without a will, things can get complicated and it could take time to sort through the red tape. Only certain relatives can inherit, due to laws that apply to inheritance without a will. These are called the Laws of Intestacy. And if there's property involved, the friends or relatives you want to inherit might have to apply to become an 'administrator'. Forms will need to be filled and approval can often take up to a month or longer.
That depends on the type of will you want.
- You can make a single will from just £99
- If you and your partner would like to have wills that reflect each other's wishes, known as a 'Mirror will', the two wills will cost £146
- To add a Trust to a single will (where some or all of your assets aren't inherited immediately) it's an additional £47. To add Trust to a pair of Mirror wills, it will cost an additional £114
- It will cost £60 to make any minor changes to an existing will, or an extra £80 to make a change to a pair of wills
No matter what stage of your life you're at, a will can help your family to deal with costs, decisions and any complicated family arrangements that might arise. Even if you don't have children or own your house, a will can give your loved ones peace of mind that your wishes are being carried out.
Low cost, DIY kits might be cheaper but they don't include checking by a lawyer, and you could make a mistake without knowing it. Our will writing service gives you the expertise of a lawyer to review your will at an affordable price. So you have the security of knowing that your will is legal and that your wishes will be carried out.
You need to store your will somewhere safe and secure — if it's lost, defaced or tampered with in any way, it will become invalid. You also need to make sure that the executors of your will know where to find it and can access it easily. If you keep your will in a safety deposit box, for example, your executors will not be able to open the box without obtaining a court order.
To help make this easy for you, Hugh James offers free will storage in their secure vaults. When the time comes, your executors will know exactly where to find your will and how to get hold of it. You can also store any property deeds you have together with your will - all free of charge.