You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Sales enquiries 0800 107 0990

Home insurance

Save 25% on our comprehensive home insurance if you’re over 50 and buy online

Get a quote Retrieve a quote

SunLife Home Insurance is arranged and administered by BISL Limited

Home insurance, over 50s couple leaning their heads against one another and smiling.

How SunLife Home Insurance can fit your needs

24/7 claims

So you never have to wait in an emergency

New for old

As standard

Free gift

SunLife FingerPrint Kit worth £59

a couple leaning against a cobbled wall drinking tea outside a cottage

What is SunLife Home Insurance?

  • Home insurance for buildings, contents or both, with flexibility over the cover you prefer
  • Choice of increased cover options for your buildings insurance, accidental damage and specified personal possessions
  • Somewhere to stay if your home becomes uninhabitable due to an insured event
  • Cover for contents temporarily removed from your home for up to 90 consecutive days or at any point while attending full time education
  • Policies are available to UK residents aged 18 and over. This includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands. Certain Optional Extras may exclude some of these locations
  • SunLife Home Insurance is arranged and administered by BISL Limited giving you quotes from a carefully selected panel of UK providers
  • You can choose to pay for your policy annually or monthly (subject to status)
  • Premiums are reviewed if you make a mid-term adjustment
  • Limitations and exclusions apply — for full information, please check the sample policy document, available when you get a quote

Get your FREE FingerPrint Kit

We know how important it is to help you protect your treasured possessions against theft, and the distress and inconvenience it can cause. That’s why we’ll give you a FREE SunLife FingerPrint forensic property marking kit worth £59 – complete with warning labels for your window – to deter burglars from your home. You’ll also have your own unique DNA solution to apply to your belongings – it’s virtually invisible to the eye but, if your goods are lost or stolen, just a tiny trace will enable police to identify and return them to you.

SunLife FingerPrint Kit logo

  • SunLife FingerPrint is only available to direct customers and is not available to customers who purchase through a price comparison website
  • This offer can be withdrawn at any time
  • Your SunLife FingerPrint Kit will be sent out 28 days after your home insurance policy has been in place.

Benefits and Features

Buildings insurance up to £1,000,000
Alternative accommodation up to £75,000
Theft or loss of keys up to £500
Tracing and accessing leaks inside the home up to £5,000
Property owners liability up to £2,000,000
Contents £50,000 as standard with the option to select a higher amount if required
New for old cover Included as standard
Alternative accommodation up to £20,000
Special events Contents Sum Insured recorded on the Schedule of Insurance is increased by 10%
Shopping in transit up to £250
Theft from a garage or an outbuilding up to £2,000
Plants in the garden up to £1,500 per policy term with a maximum of £250 per claim
Theft or loss of keys up to £500
Accidental damage to electrical items up to £1,000
Freezer contents up to £1,000
Visitors effects up to £300
Valuables within the home In total, up to 25% of the contents sum insured. £1,500 per item, pair or set
Personal possessions Optional cover
Money in the home up to £1,000 per policy term with a maximum of £500 per claim
Contents in the open up to £1,000 per claim

Extra Protection

With SunLife Home Insurance, you can tailor your policy to match your needs. For added peace of mind, you can increase your cover levels.

Additional Accidental Damage – increase your standard policy cover to protect against those unfortunate incidents that damage your building and contents

Personal possessions – covers items away from home for loss, damage or theft, starting from £2,000, but no one item can be more than £1,500

Specified items – covers any items worth more than £1,500 by specifying them on your insurance. You can cover individual items up to £5,000 for loss, damage or theft in or away from your home

Get a quote for SunLife Home Insurance

Optional Extras

There are also three optional extras to choose from - allowing you to complement your insurance with additional cover. Something to think about if you'd like to extend your protection...

  • Family Legal Protection
  • Key cover
  • Home Emergency assistance
Find out more about optional extras

Your Online Self Service Centre

If you're already a SunLife Home Insurance customer, you can manage your policy at the Online Self Service Centre. With a simple log-in, you can:

  • access your policy online, 24/7
  • view, download and print policy documents
  • make a payment
  • change your payment details

Visit the Online Self Service Centre 

Or if you prefer, you can call 0330 018 2059 directly.

Lines are currently open: Monday-Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm, Sunday 10am to 4pm and Bank holidays 9am to 5pm.

Frequently asked questions

I’m worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments – can you help?

Yes, we’re here to help. We’re aware that there may be an impact on people’s livelihoods due to COVID-19.

If you think you may be unable to maintain your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0330 018 2059. Our opening hours are Monday-Saturday 8am-6pm.

We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation. There are several ways we may be able to help including:

  • moving your payment dates
  • agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term,
  • and removing any fees applied to your policy.

Don’t wait until you miss a payment as we can help you in advance. We ask that you don’t cancel your payments or direct debits as this can result in your policy being cancelled and we don’t want you to be left uninsured, please get in touch with us in the first instance.

What is the difference between building insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers damage to the structure of your home (e.g walls, roof etc), outbuildings (e.g garage or shed) and its permanent fixtures and fittings. Contents insurance covers the personal belongings that you keep in your home. It also covers contents temporarily removed from your home for up to 90 consecutive days and contents temporarily removed from your home while attending full time education.

How much cover do I need?

For buildings insurance, you need to consider the full rebuild cost of your home, which isn’t necessarily the same as its market value – or what you paid for it. This handy calculator from the Association of British Insurers can give you an idea of the full rebuild cost of your property.

For contents cover, you need to make a list of everything you own – including furniture, ornaments, carpets, clothes, electrical items, and any garden furniture or shed or garage contents – and calculate how much it would cost to replace it all. It’s easy to underestimate, so make sure you don’t end up under-insuring your belongings.

What personal belongings are included with home contents cover?

As well as furniture and electrical items, and valuables kept in the home, you’ll have cover for freezer contents, money and credit cards – plus, you can choose from a range of cover limits to suit your needs and preferences.

What is 'Valuables Within The Home' cover?

High Risk Property

  • Articles of jewellery, pearls, gemstones, gold, silver and precious metal
  • Pictures and works of art
  • Any rare or unusual article that is collectable
  • Stamp, coin and metal collections
  • TVs, portable computers and computers
  • Software stored on any computer, entertainment, audio or video equipment
  • Furs, clocks and watches
What about things in the garage, or the garden shed?

Items stored in a garage or outbuilding are covered if you have selected contents cover, but the cover is limited to £2,000 if the items are stolen. Items in the open, for example garden furniture, are covered up to £1,000 (single item limits apply).

What do I do if something happens that makes my property unsafe to stay in?

Alternative accommodation cover is available if your home becomes uninhabitable due to an insured event, and this is included in your policy as standard. Level of cover depends on whether you have a Buildings only, Contents only or Combined insurance policy. Please check your policy documents.

Can I increase my cover?

With SunLife Home Insurance, you can increase the amount of cover under your standard buildings insurance to enhance protection, for an additional premium. You can also increase your allowance for single specified items up to £5,000 with a total combined cover of up to £25,000 for specified and non specified items. You also have the option of adding Home Emergency assistance, Keycare cover and Legal Protection for an additional charge. Find out more

What is accidental damage?

Accidental damage is damage that occurs as a result of an unexpected and non-deliberate action.

Am I covered for accidental damage?

A basic level of accidental damage cover is included as standard in both our buildings and contents insurance policies. Your policy includes standard accidental damage to buildings and/or contents, depending on the policy you have. For an additional premium you can add extended accidental damage cover. Limits apply.

What is a policy excess?

An excess is the amount of money you will be asked to pay in the event of a claim. For example, if you have a £100 excess then you will pay the first £100 of the claim you make. You can often reduce your insurance premium by increasing your excess but you should always make sure that you are happy to pay this amount in the event of a claim.

Are my personal possessions covered away from home or on holiday?

As standard our policies do not include cover for personal possessions however personal possessions cover can be added for an additional premium.

Does Contents Insurance cover new for old?

Yes. We’ll replace your old goods with brand new ones – like for like, or with the nearest equivalent, subject to policy Terms and Conditions.

How do I make changes to my policy?

You can view your policy online and make changes by logging into our Online Self Service Centre.

Or if you prefer, you can call 0330 018 2059 directly

Lines are currently open: Monday-Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm, Sunday 10am to 4pm and Bank holidays 9am to 5pm.

How can I make a claim?

If you would like to make a claim, please call 0330 018 2058. Lines are open 24 hours a day.

Get a quote for SunLife Home Insurance